East Lansing High School Parent Council
This is only a sampling of the Parent Council's membership.
Do you know who is missing? You are. The Parent Council is open to all parents and guardians of ELHS students.
Your attendance at any of the meetings is welcome, although if you want an active Council role, we are currently in need of:
Teacher Luncheon Coordinator – Vice-President of Communications – Top Scholar Event Co-Coordinator
Fall Parent/Teacher Conferences will be held October 17th from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. and October 19th from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
During the Conference Time we need Parents for the Fall 2017 Teacher and Staff Appreciation Dinner. This year we are trying something different and will be serving a meal from 4:00- 5:00 pm on the Thursday of conference week. This is the hour break the teachers get between the afternoon and evening conferences that day.
Please give your gift of appreciation to all our hardworking ELHS teachers and staff by signing up on-line to cook, shop, set-up, serve and/or clean up.
Sign up at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0d45ada62eaa8-fall1 or contact Jennifer Sitze Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 517-775 5220.
Parent Council looks forward to working with you in 2017-18!
Please mark your calendars for our parent council meetings and programs!
Join us in the ELHS HUB for meetings on the following Tuesdays throughout the academic year. Meetings begin at 6:30 pm, with programs at 7:00 (topics listed below):
- Sept. 12, Business Meeting
- Oct. 10, Mental Health
- Nov. 14, College Admissions
- Dec. 12, Business Meeting
- Jan. 9, State of the School
- Feb. 13, Implicit Bias & Microaggressions
- March 13, Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda
- Apr. 10, Substance Abuse
- May 8, Business Meeting
Special Note: On Business Meeting-only nights, we'll start at 6:30. On program nights, we'll have a short business meeting at 6:30 with the program following at 7:00 - 8:15 or 8:30.
The East Lansing High School Parent Council:
- Assists with the communication between parents/guardians and administrators. Our high school principal or one of his assistants, and an East Lansing Board of Education member attend the parent council meetings to share updates and gather feedback on current school-related issues.
- Smooths the transition from middle school to high school and beyond. Many of our monthly meetings include speakers on topics useful to parents such as high school curriculum, college admission information, vocational training opportunities and addressing the achievement gap. We've initiated a monthly parent poll to identify other topics of concern.
- Assists in volunteer support for general all-school needs. We have a number of volunteer opportunities. Examples include, Fall & Spring staff luncheons, academic assistance/tutoring in the library before and after school, and helping with one-time needs that occasionally arise
- Assists in funding educational enhancements outside the school budget for teachers, such as technology, equipment and traditional learning materials. This support ranges from purchasing graphing calculators and projector document cameras to providing art supplies and travel expenses for class field trips.
In addition to your time and service, please support Parent Council by making a $25.00 donation now. So that we can continue to help support our incredible teachers and hard working students in ways that school budget can not.
If you prefer, checks made payable to the ELHS Parent Council may be delivered to the office by your student or through the mail: Attn: Parent Council, East Lansing High School, 509 Burcham Drive, East Lansing, MI 48823
For more information and a volunteer form which can be printed, filled out and returned to the office, see our Welcome Letter.